Thursday, December 6, 2012

Ft Lauderdale - Day One of my Huge Adventure!

Today I arrived in Ft. Lauderdale after a couple of easeful, simple, on time flights on Delta from RVA.  I caught a taxi right away to the Hilton here at the Marina.  I've never been to Ft. Lauderdale before so everything is new.  Our room overlooks this view here.  About 30 minutes after getting here, I was down there on one of those chaise lounges reading a book by my friend Peggy Siegel, completely entranced by her story.  I'd begun it on my first flight and didn't put it down except when I was changing planes.  Teaching Einstein to Fly is the name of the book.  Peggy is local.  I highly recommend the book to everyone - it's about her journey as she became an intuitive healer.  I'd just experienced her healing touch a couple of days before I left and know first hand how powerful it is, so reading about how she got to this place was wonderful.  A great guide for my journey - a powerful reminder to listen to my intuition and to do the next right thing...  thus the time by the pool.

Our room is quite wonderful, clean and bright and well-appointed, a gift from Gerlinde for my birthday in November.  What an absolute treat!  I enjoyed its amenities greatly this evening when I drew a hot bath and spent 45 minutes in it finished Peggy's book.  My first bath in years (no worries - I shower!  I just don't take baths!)

I went for a walk around by the Marina after my pool side lounging.  This is what I saw as I left the hotel.

I was surprised when I walked through the tunnel and found this behemoth of a yacht on the other side!  It's humongous!  I had to realize, though, that if I think THIS is a big boat, just wait til I see the ship I'll be living on for 25 days tomorrow!  THAT will be BIG!  I think 900+ people will be on it.  I can't quite wrap my mind around having enough personal wealth to be able to afford to own such a boat.  I will be quite surprised if that happens to me in this lifetime.


I enjoyed walking by the water where I saw some coconuts on the ground, fallen from these trees.  I don't think I've ever seen real coconuts that have fallen from a real palm tree!  I sorta thought about seeing if I could crack them open, but it seemed like it might not be worth the trouble!


 The sky was beautiful as it headed towards evening.  White feathery cirrus clouds with golden yellow clouds hanging lower and adding drama and beautiful color as well as a sense of what was to come with the sunset.
 
On my quest to find a good restaurant for dinner, I walked by the water and saw these two guys folding up the sail on this beautiful sailing vessel.   That might be a fun job - traveling the Seven Seas taking care of such a boat!  I guess I'll find out whether I like being on the water or not - I sure hope I do!

For dinner I found a wonderful restaurant, Market 17, from farm to table.  My goodness, but it was wonderful!  I got Chicken Breast with cauliflower, polenta with goat's cheese, tomatoes, eggplant, currents and more.  It was a small plate, so a lovely amount of food, and each morsel was so flavorful!  I enjoyed each bite.  One of the good things about eating alone (without a book to read or a computer to play with) is that I get to really pay attention to what I'm eating.  It's a much more mindful experience than I usually allow myself to experience.

When I returned to the hotel, this was the beautiful sight out of my window - the pool and yacht all lit up and waiting for folks to enjoy each.  I feel like I'm in the lap of luxury.  It's quite lovely and wonderful!

And  right now I'm waiting for my dear friend Gerlinde to arrive from Austria.  She should be here any moment.  She'll be my companion on this journey as Chris can't go since he has to work.  I will miss him so much, but I am really looking forward to the time with her - we've known each other for almost 30 years and have traveled well together.  Yeah, for friends!

Tomorrow we board the ship at 2, and meetings start at 5 to help us prepare to greet the passengers on Saturday in Nassau, the Bahamas.  I am so excited to meet my fellow professors, Sandra Day O'Connor and Julian Bond among them.  It's going to be quite a trip!

Til next time!  Have a wonderful day!



1 comment:

  1. I saw Julian Bond here in Stuttgart reading from his Arthur Conan Doyle novel a few years ago. He is certainly one great writer!

    ReplyDelete