Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Goddess (and her daughter)


I had a great time working on my Goddess piece today.  I had begun it a couple of weeks ago when I went up to DC to work with Rob Vander Zee.  I had a lot of energy to burn off that day so I threw on a bunch of yellow.  I was using paint sticks rather than paint and didn't have any subtle colors to work with.

At the end of the session, I drew in her little daughter walking behind her, shifting the picture from icon to slightly funky.  I love the juxtaposition.

For the last couple of weeks, the piece had been languishing in the studio while I worked on a commission - LOVED doing it!  I was also concerned about how I would approach the canvas with so daggone much yellow on it - that's a hard color to work with.

Today I got to a stopping point with the commission and decided to jump in - what the heck?  The worst I can do is wreck it and have to start all over again.

I mixed up a batch of paint and started in.  I was immediately excited when the colors looked really good - alive, interesting.  I stopped for a bit to teach a couple of students, then went back to it, covering most of the body except for the face.  I'm thrilled about the way it's going.

I'm headed out to teach this evening - my last Beginning Pastel Class - the Intermediate one begins in a couple of weeks.  Tomorrow I have to go to DC to pick up a painting, then Thursday I hope to get back to this.  It's so exciting to me when I piece is really working.  It makes me want to be in the studio more than anywhere else!  (Though I love teaching and know I'll enjoy that too once I'm there!)

Y'all have a great evening!

2 comments: