Sunday, December 26, 2010

My Review of David Sorg Signature Studio Easel

Originally submitted at Jerry's Artarama Art Supplies

As the saying goes Necessity is the mother of invention. David Sorg had searched for an easel that would not only make painting more enjoyable but also almost disappear; being a true extension of the painting rather than a support for it. After looking at all the other easels David created this inc...


I like it, with reservations

By Susan from Richmond, VA on 12/26/2010

 

3out of 5

Pros: Sturdy Tripod

Best Uses: Larger Rooms

Describe Yourself: Quality Oriented

Primary use: Business

I am an artist who paints large scale oils (up to 8'x6') and needed an easel big enough to hold the biggest pieces. This easel appears to be able to do that well. The interesting thing I've found about it is that it doesn't go down low enough to be able to paint the top of a 4' piece while sitting. The tray of my other easel goes down almost to the floor, so it isn't an issue with that one.

The easel seems well-designed. We had some trouble putting it together though - this might not make any sense now, but if you buy it and are trying to put it together, there's a stage when you stand it up to vertical - make sure the mast isn't in the way when you do that, or you might break it in two! Thankfully we figured out what was keeping it from rising up before that happened! It would have been helpful if the instructions had included that tidbit of advice.

The construction is a bit flimsier than I expected it to be - the melamine tray came with a corner missing, and the "drawer pull" for the handy brush holder pulled off the first time I used it. I was able to glue it back on, but I hope it doesn't indicate other issues I may have to deal with. Also, the metal solvent holders are nice, but the screens to wipe the brush against are only 3/4" from the bottom, so you can't put much solvent into them without causing damage to the brush when cleaning it.

It is nice to be able to lift the canvas fairly easily. I don't know if it'll get easier as I use it more or not, but it does take some muscle to lift and lower the canvas. It doesn't work with a fingertip!

I like the sandpaper on the canvas holders. It works well to hold the canvas out from the easel so I can paint the edges. Again, though, the sandpaper came somewhat damaged. I'm guessing that when David built these himself, these details were well-attended to. Having them made in China certainly reduces the price (and made it so I could buy one), but there is a loss in quality.

(legalese)

1 comment: