Tuesday, November 9, 2010

More Lasting Impressions - Gym Class Trauma

Thank you to all of you who keep sending in stories of statements or events which have stuck with you.  Here's another one I just got last week.  Thank you for sending it:

When I was in middle school (aka junior high back then) they didn't say anything directly about my body. It was more the implication that I was worthless physically when teams were being chosen in gym class. Each team took turns picking someone out of the crowd to be on their team. When it got down to one person, it was usually me. Sometimes, nobody would even call my name, since I would just walk over to the team that ended up with the last pick.


I had the same experience.  And, of course, assumed I deserved it.  Ouch, ouch, ouch!  Wish I'd had the chutzpah to prove them wrong, but I had way too much belief in the rightness of their decision.  Thank goodness the teacher sometimes chose me to be the one who chose people!  Then I didn't have to be last!  (But I realize now that I also didn't turn things around by choosing people who were normally chosen towards the end like I was.  That would have been interesting!)



Have you had experiences like this you'd like to share?  I'm curious to know how universal this gym class thing is.  I noticed that communal showers caused more than one young man distress.  What else has gym class wrought??  Stories, anyone??

No comments:

Post a Comment