Monday, May 31, 2010

Composition - Into the Mist - re-working an old piece

The last few days I've been transitioning to a new painting as well as getting ready for a long week of tutoring for exams.  I was getting out a canvas for my new piece (8'x2.5') and scratched up an old piece so I had to re-work the old one.  I'm glad I did.  I think the colors are richer and more interesting for the extra work.  The piece is from my series, Into the Mist.  For that series, I painted images based on photographs I took while moving the camera.  When my husband and I first moved in together, I wasn't convinced I could both be married AND be an artist.  I hadn't tried that before.  My husband was completely supportive though, so eventually I realized it was not only possible, it was vitally important to my well-being and to the well-being of our marriage.  Anyway, as I was moving towards that realization, one day I went out into the woods with my son's digital camera, a new technology to me at that time.  It was misty and getting dark.  I took a picture then realized I'd shaken the camera so it was pretty blurry.  I liked what I saw!  I started shaking the camera intentionally and loved the images I was getting. 

Because I am best at painting precisely what I see, it's difficult for me to move into abstraction.  These paintings were a move in that direction because they are abstract images themselves, but I painted exactly what I saw in the photo.

The image I was working on yesterday (the one shown here) is actually a picture of my silver minivan on our carport with a hose as well!  I realize it's somewhat difficult to recognize those elements in it!  That's what I loved about it.  That and the fact that the composition is very appealing to me.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's beautiful. Like watching wind blowing sand on a beach - how it gently mists over itself and lands, then moves again. Moving ripples on a solid surface.

    ReplyDelete